Monday, November 21, 2011

Week 8



      My Census map series summarizes the ratio of each race selected, in each United States county. The races that are represented above are: Black, Asian, and Some other race.It shows where there is more of the selected race by the increasing darkness of color of each county. The population of that race in each county is compared to the total population of each county. For example, in the map showing the percentage of "Some Other Race Population", you can see that a large group of a different race lives in Southwestern states and counties. This could be caused by many things one of them being that it is adjacent to another country meaning that there is very much immigration to that area of the country.
      I surprisingly grew to really enjoy GIS, enough so that I am considering minoring in it. I am very shocked that I turned out liking it because my confusion at the beginning of the quarter really put GIS in a bad light for me. Now that I have gotten used to ArcGIS, its actually really cool to be able to figure things out and actually create maps. I definitely think that it had to do a lot with the tutorials that were done, because I would think I did not learn anything and then when I would go to create a map, I was shocked at how much I remembered. Definitely what turned GIS into a good experience for me was becoming familiar with the program. BUT I did have one downfall with my GIS experience and it was this particular lab. I had a series of bad happenings with this one. First, when I had returned to my work, which I had almost finished the tutorial, nothing was there meaning I had to restart the tutorial. After that, I realized I had calculated at one point wrong making me have to restart again. Then, once I believed I got the tutorial right, I became very confused with the next stages of the lab which led me to VERY much trial and error. Ultimately I ended up at a result, but not easily. Besides this one time, my GIS experience has been positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment